Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Star Spangled Banner

I awoke the morning after the debate and remembering the evening before, while in the shower, I began to sing The Star Spangled Banner.
As I sang, the opening lines being in a higher register came out weak and, I realized, plaintive.
Yet the closing lines of the first stanza came across more bold.

We have asked ourselves, "Can the Republic survive?".
As the opening lines observe the peril, the closing lines are a fervent prayer.
We await God's answer.
With hope.

1 comment:

  1. We await God's answer and we try not to tick him off too much with how our horrible gov't's treating Israel, which my Sunday Faith Blog will be on this week.

    Sometimes I sing the patriotic songs and get teary...I think I'm that scared that we'll never have that again; that our kids don't even know the words. Talk about a metaphor.

    ReplyDelete