Thursday, October 4, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things...


21:37:22: LEHRER: Come back to...
(CROSSTALK)
21:37:25: ROMNEY: ... to oil, to tax breaks, then companies going overseas. So let's go through them one by one.
First of all, the Department of Energy has said the tax break for oil companies is $2.8 billion a year. And it's actually an accounting treatment, as you know, that's been in place for a hundred years. Now...
OBAMA: It's time to end it.
ROMNEY: And in one year, you provided $90 billion in breaks to the green energy world.
Now, I like green energy as well, but that's about 50 years' worth of what oil and gas receives. And you say Exxon and Mobil. Actually, this $2.8 billion goes largely to small companies, to drilling operators and so forth.
But, you know, if we get that tax rate from 35 percent down to 25 percent, why that $2.8 billion is on the table. Of course it's on the table. That's probably not going to survive you get that rate down to 25 percent.
But don't forget, you put $90 billion, like 50 years' worth of breaks, into -- into solar and wind, to Solyndra and Fisker and Tester and Ener1. I mean, I had a friend who said you don't just pick the winners and losers, you pick the losers, all right? So this -- this is not -- this is not the kind of policy you want to have if you want to get America energy secure.
The second topic, which is you said you get a deduction for taking a plant overseas. Look, I've been in business for 25 years. I have no idea what you're talking about. I maybe need to get a new accountant.
LEHRER: Let's...
ROMNEY: But -- but the idea that you get a break for shipping jobs overseas is simply not the case.

4 comments:

  1. LOL, love that little byplay... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have no idea what you're talking about."
    And by inference, Mr. President, neither do you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add that, NFO, but it's been hectic, as I'm sure it gets for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see Biden fold like a cheap suit....

    ReplyDelete