Saturday, September 26, 2026

What's a Christian Patriot to do?

 I had author and Pastor Jeff Samelson on the show to talk about his book, Walk This Way: Political Engagement for Bible-Believing Christians.

We talked about the responsibilities of a Christian to get involved and not get overwhelmed by political activity.

Be angry and sin not.

How to treat the moneychangers in the Temple without losing your soul.

 

Transcript:

Our guest this hour is Jeff Samelson. And Jeff is the author of a book that just came out. It's called Walk This Way. It's not the Aerosmith song. Walk This Way, Political Engagement for Bible-Believing Christians. And it speaks to some things that I struggle with. And I found that if I'm struggling with something, so are others. I used to sit in class and I'd realize, I'd look around like, I'm not sure everybody's getting this either, but nobody else wants to ask. So I'd be the guy that would ask. And then after class, everybody say, oh, I'm glad you said something. Well, that's because I have a loud mouth. So welcome to the show, Jeff. Tell us about yourself and how you became the person you are today.

Jeff Samelson

All right, well, people ask me that question. I always say, oh, I'll make this quick and then I don't. So I'll try to extra hard to be brief here. I'm a writer and I'm a pastor. Some people might say I have a unique background. I'm originally from the Chicago suburbs, Libertyville, Illinois. But I started my adult life by getting a degree in political science. And then I served as a foreign service officer at the US embassies in Singapore and Bogota, Colombia. But I'd had a longtime interest in being a pastor. And so I returned to the US, went to seminary. And with that degree, I was called to a church in Maryland in the DC and Baltimore suburbs, and I served there for 21 years. I live now in Wisconsin with my wife, Charlene, and I write, I teach, I preach, I contribute also to a podcast of my own. Well, not my own, it's from Christian Life Resources. It's called the Life Challenges Podcast. And as you've kindly mentioned, I've written a book.

Ed Bonderenka

Among all those other things you've written a book yeah we want to talk about that book too because I've been like I said before we came on air I've been skimming it because I only got a copy a few days ago and I actually have a day job now so it's not as easy you know and so your book starts out if therefore you picked up this book expecting or looking for some kind of Christian blueprint for electoral victory the secrets to taking control the state or a plan to make a nation into some theocratic ideal you will be disappointed yeah you elaborate on that.

Jeff Samelson

Well yeah I am I mean there are a lot of books out there these days that are designed that way. That is their purpose. And they're trying to tell you, no, if you're a Christian, this is what you need to do politically. And then there's going to be another book from another author that's saying something completely different about this is what you should do because you're a Christian. And I don't think that's right. It's not necessarily that helpful. And what I really needed, or I felt that people really needed to hear, was, okay, you're a Christian. What exactly does that mean for you at the very basic level? What is it that you need to know? What is it that you need to understand about, well, I guess the easiest way to do it is that with this book, Walk This Way, I try to put politics into the context of Christian faith and life, where it belongs, instead of something that far too many people are doing or are being told to do, which is taking Christian faith in life and trying to fit it into politics. And that is the kind of thing that I often come across when people are frustrated by all these questions. It's like, okay, I'm A Christian. How does that fit into the fact that I support this candidate or I'm a member of this party or this is my side. How do I stay on my side and still fit in some of that Christian stuff that I say is important on Sunday mornings? And that's got it reversed. And it's not just that I think there's a right and a wrong approach to this. It's that when you have the wrong approach to this, when you're not starting from the right foundation, you're going to be missing out on a lot of peace and confidence and comfort that God wants you to have and that He gives to you in Scripture if you start from that foundation that He gives you. So the books begins by establishing the foundational truths about who believers are as God's children and disciples of Christ. And then it describes the unique blessings and advantages Christians have that will benefit them when dealing with politics. And then the last section, it gives more specific guidance then about how all this is put together in a believer's life. How the Christian actually engages with politics practically, faithfully, and confidently. Oh, Ed, your microphone is muted.

Ed Bonderenka

Thank you. And that's part of his job, like I said. If I might sum up, or rather quote your book again, because I think it sums up what you just said and says it rather forcefully at the end. I like this. This is not a call to arms. If anything, it is a call to the cross, to faithfulness and sacrifice, not strategy or success. Neither is a call to false or forced uniting of Christians into a partisan force based on political expediency or simple grasping of power. It's a call to individual identity, integrity, and engagement. These are so important to the citizen, not just to a Christian, but to being a citizen. And I like the last phrase in this paragraph. At the same time, though, it is an encouragement to Christians not to cede the civil sphere politics to those without the Holy Spirit. I said something a while back and on the show and Derek, man, he's so sharp. He caught it, clipped it, and made a promo for the show. Basically, it goes, I don't have it here right away, but it says something to the effect of, I don't want to live in a government ruled by Christians. I want to live in a government run by Christians. I want to live in a government that I thought he was going to play it the way he came up to the mic there for a second. I want to live under a government that is informed by Christian ideals and purposes. God wants us to be free. It's a good thing to be free. You are a Lutheran. And of course, there are many flavors, and Kamala Harris notwithstanding, a Venn diagram would be helpful sometimes, for which one of you guys are in which group of Lutherans. But I know some good Lutherans, and you were telling me about the synod that you're in, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, and I once spoke to a guy named Pastor Richard Zeal. And he's a local pastor and he hosts the syndicated radio show, Martin Luther's Evening Prayer. And he reminded me of the Lutheran pastor John Muhlenberg, the patriot pastor of Revolutionary War fame. So. he was pointing out to me that at that time Lutherans were willing to stand up and fight when it was time for the fight and I'm friends with Pastor Christopher Toma who pastors Our Savior Lutheran Church in Heartland Michigan you work out of a church called Our Savior also right?

Jeff Samelson

Yes I'm a pulpit assistant at Our Savior in Grafton Wisconsin.

Ed Bonderenka

Excellent so and he sponsors this the conference, annual conference called The Body of Christ in the Public Square, which by the way occurs October 3rd of this year. We talked to him about I think last week or the week before. And the event has speakers who focus on the topic of the body of Christ in the public square. What a coincidence, So it's.

Jeff Samelson

Good when there's that agreement there between the purpose and the names. Yeah.

Ed Bonderenka

Exactly. And so Your book, once again, to reinforce the thought is, it's not to say Christians should stay out of politics, but we need Christians in politics, but how do we behave as Christians in politics? Is that right?

Jeff Samelson

Yes. Yeah, and that's... I think that no matter what side of whatever issue you're on, I think most people today are, in the United States anyway, are going to be saying, what, I think there are a lot of Christians who aren't acting very Christian when they're out in politics. And that's not good, whether you're thinking about it just in terms of the individual's spiritual state, because it's not good to be acting in a way that is not consistent with your faith. or whether you're talking about it in terms of the Christians and the church's witness to the world, it's not good to be acting that way. As important as the purposes we may have are when we go into politics and engage with it, we have a greater purpose as Christians, and that is to live as the people Christ has made us to be. and that includes the purpose he's given us of sharing the gospel and being witnesses to his wonderful truth. So therefore, if we take this attitude of, well, I've got this really important political purpose to fulfill here, but it's going to require me to set aside some of my Christian character and principles, yeah, you're looking at that equation the wrong way.

Ed Bonderenka

Yeah you know I've got this recording of John Adams it's a very old recording.

John Adams

Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people it is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

Ed Bonderenka

I like playing that. I took out all the hiss and pops and everything from the original wax recording and so up you know I once again I believe that this country I know that this country was founded on principles that are derived from Christianity and the Judeo-Christian heritage, if you want to put it that way. I'm getting at a loss for words sometimes here. But I believe that our government was given to us by people who looked at what was happening in theological terms of freedom and our rights are, once again, guaranteed to us by the Constitution but they're given to us from God so I have obviously I believe there's a real Christian component to keeping this country free and keeping it in the way that God delivered it to us which I believe he did you said something here in that statement I read earlier it is an encouragement to Christians not to see the civical civil beer oh my goodness politics to those without the Holy Spirit and I think that's very important because not just those with the Christian name but those who are actually living the life and being led by God instead of just people frankly I know people I used to be one of them went to church and thought that was good enough called myself a Christian because my parents were but it's another thing to actually be God is your end-all, be-all, and your allegiance is to him. If he says something, you'll do it no matter how you feel about it.

Jeff Samelson

Right.

Ed Bonderenka

Okay, good. We're in agreement.

Jeff Samelson

Go ahead. Yeah, we always want to be careful not to be looking at other people and trying to judge, okay, this is, he's just a nominal Christian, but he's a real Christian. We don't, we can't see the hearts that God can see yet, but we can see is how people behave, the things that they say, the things that they do. And when we see in our own lives that we are saying one thing about who we are and acting a different way, that should be a wake-up call to us. And if you have a brother or sister that you see the same thing going on, that might be the point where you would say something to them. It's like, yeah, your words and actions aren't quite matching up here. And there's no particular reason why we should leave politics out of that. I think, for instance, of any number of politicians in the history of this nation who have said, Oh, yes, I'm absolutely a Christian, yes, absolutely, and yet there... the policies that they champion, the legislation that they sponsor and sign or whatever, are things that we as Christians would say that doesn't go together. Those things don't match up. And yet it doesn't seem that anybody, their pastors, their fellow church members or whatever, are actually engaging with them in such a way to say, hey, there's a disconnect here. And and that's a shame.

Ed Bonderenka

Well, actually, actually, it's that that that concept that I first thought of when I sprung off on everything about nominal Christian was the fact that there are people who represent themselves on TV and politicians, you know, and say, yes, I'm a Christian. And like, well, then when you going to start acting like it or, you know, we're going to show you're you're going to draw the line and stand with allegiance to Christian principles instead of going along with the party line. to get along. I mean if they're not killing babies I understand making concessions to the party line to see that the party retains the majorities for the that's politics so that you can do the most good you can but when they say hey we're gonna kill babies or we're gonna mutilate kids in school and can you stay in our party and support this or just keep your mouth shut about it now I don't think that's viable in my case you said something about you know the body standing up to somebody and I'm gonna open up a can of worms here I taught in a church for years And then I left that church over some frustration with the pastor and how he was dealing with COVID and keeping the church shut. And there was an argument about that. And my wife and I left. We found a church that was open and wasn't insulting to those that wanted to remain free. And then after a while, we came back to this church and I was not asked to resume teaching. And that's fine. I was asked to teach in my home and I did that for a while. And I ended up in the hospital last year and that didn't work. And so I asked the board when I got to the hospital, hey, our home is not set right now for teaching this group. Can I borrow one of the rooms? And it took a while and it came back that no, I couldn't. I couldn't borrow one of the rooms because it would be seen as an imprimatur on my teaching for the church. I said, I've done that for 20 some years here before. Frankly, you guys aren't doing a Bible study. I don't know why you haven't asked me to take it up. That's your business. But to tell me I can't, why is that? It turned out there was an incident that I totally forgotten where another pastor visiting pastor had come in a couple years earlier, couple years earlier, like, you know, not during COVID. And he talked about the closing of churches. And it's a small church. And I basically challenged him on closing churches. And I was passionate about it. I don't believe I was angry about it, but I was passionate about it. was interpreted by the board that I was angry. And they actually, instead of talking to me about it, they actually went to the district and said, how do we handle this guy? And they said, leave it alone. Let him go. And that sat there for, they didn't say anything for the longest time. And I finally, when I was told all this, I said, you guys never challenged me on my behavior you just let it go and and so it's a situation right now I'm looking for another church and you know and I'm asking pastors as I go like a will you let the church shut you down whose allegiance do you have to the state or to the the God who said you know forsake not the assembly of yourselves together so unfortunately that's the kinda radical guy I am And then I get very, very strongly opinioned about my walk and my allegiance and how we're going to let the state walk on us. So yeah, long story, probably didn't ask for it, but I had the opportunity to tell it because it's exactly what you're talking about. People who thought I had anger issues thought enough about it to go to the district body about it and then never tell me they had a problem with it. and then it affects my my working in the church and we need to be able to call people out on their behavior and have have the integrity and the arm yeah the integrity to actually say look up you did this wrong we need to talk to you about that is that what you were getting at?

Jeff Samelson

Yeah the beginning of John the John's gospel there is a John sets up a contrast between Moses who was as a lawgiver and Jesus who brings grace and truth. And one of the interesting things about the Gospels is that you don't see anywhere Jesus giving a new set of commandments or anything like that. And I've often said that the closest we get to that closest we get to something where Jesus is saying okay this is what you have to do is in Matthew 18 where he says if your brother sins go to him individually if he repents great if not go back with two or three others if he repents great if not then you take it to the church and yet That is the most clear statement of procedure for the New Testament church that there is. And yet it is the one that is so frequently overlooked, if not ignored, because it's difficult.

Ed Bonderenka

I got up in front of the body a few weeks ago. I got up in front of them and I said exactly that. I says, I read Matthew. And I said, this is how you're supposed to deal with things. I said, nobody dealt with me like that. But now I have gone to the board and I have basically told them this is how I feel about it. This is how I think they're wrong. They haven't responded to me. So now I'm in front of you, the body, and I'm calling them out according to Matthew 18. And unfortunately I didn't hand it well. I got angry and just walked off. I didn't explain my position because I just couldn't. I just had to be quiet. You know, I had to walk away. So we got a minute left. So we're going to take calls after the break too. I've trusted there are people who want to castigate me or support me or are more interested hopefully in your book and the topic. We're going to get on to this. We're going to get more into your book here instead of my personal life. So folks, Derek, we've got 30 seconds. It's time for the music. There we go. Come on back after the break, your American heritage.

Well, welcome back to, of course, Your American Heritage. And we're talking to, should I refer to you as pastor?

Jeff Samelson

Sure.

Ed Bonderenka

Okay, Pastor Jeff Samuelson. I should also say author Jeff Samuelson of Walk This Way, Political Engagement for Bible Believing Christians. And I'm looking to have some phone calls here and Derek, open the phone lines, please, and give us the number. 734-822-1600 Oh look at that, Joe from Wyandotte. Hey Joe, welcome to the show.

Joe from Wyandotte

Thank you, yeah I'd like to give both your reactions to the following that I stand with you Ed, as I often do, in that anger is a natural human emotion. It is not a sin, as I discussed in my Christitutional Politics Books series. Jesus Himself, God made flesh, got angry, He upturned the tables in the temple. Now I don't wish to put words in Jesus' mouth, I wouldn't presume to do that, but it isn't reported in the Bible. I would believe He would have further than said, I took my anger too far. Destruction of property is not proper channeling of anger. Potential disturbance of the peace is not proper application of your anger. We have to channel not just anger, but all our emotions constructively, but expressing in uncertain harsh tones of our voice expressing our anger is perfectly fine it's you know not unless a few assault or especially in anger murder and innocent anger is fine.

Ed Bonderenka

Alright Joe I am going to let Jeff have first stab at this but I have a response to and I think he might have a similar response to Jeff you're my guest.

Jeff Samelson

Okay, it's absolutely true that anger in itself is not a sin. But as with all emotions, there is a difference between a righteous anger and an unrighteous anger. Similar thing would be with jealousy. We always think of jealousy as simply as absolutely a negative thing, but there is a proper kind of jealousy too. So we have to make that distinction. With Jesus, he was the sinless, perfectly righteous son of God. So we know that any anger that he displayed was perfectly right. It was on the righteous side, both in terms of the feeling of it and in whatever he did as a result of it. So we have that as kind of a guide or a standard that we can look at there. What we're looking at in terms of our personal relationships and things, the difficulty is because we're sinful human beings, it is next to impossible for us to feel anger and not at least in some way sin in connection with it. And that's why there is so much in the Bible, particularly in the letters of Paul, about self-control, about staying in complete control of ourselves. Not that we don't feel emotions, but that we make sure that we don't let them take control of us and lead us to do things or say things that are sinful or for that matter even, and this is something that my own wife will talk to me about sometimes, the look that we have on our faces can even be crossing the line there. And so we want to keep the negative. We want to keep the sinning aspect out of it. And that, I think, is the thing that's the problem with politics for so many of us as Christians today, is that we're feeling angry and we're not even sure that it's a righteous anger a lot of the time, and we're not sure what to do with it, even if it is a righteous anger. And so part of the purpose of my writing of the book is to try to help us work through those issues. It's like, okay, why am I upset about this thing that I just heard about on the news? Is it because this is actually something that is going against God's will and therefore is bad for my nation, bad for my community? Or is this something that's just kind of ticking me off because it's not what I personally like? It's not what I'm comfortable with. It's not what I grew up with or something like that. And we need to learn as Christians to differentiate these things so that when we are acting on our anger, when we are upset about something that moves us to action, we know that we're doing it for all the right reasons and that they are godly, Christ-like reasons.

Ed Bonderenka

All right my turn hold on Joe so so of course is be angry and sin not and so you might get angry and it might even be the wrong anger but sin not and one thing I've been helpful I read this book by watchman knee called a normal Christian life turn my life around and fortunately I only read it like about a year into my walk with God and up he says that basically The Christian life is not normal, it's super normal. And if you're going to live the Christian life, you let God live it to you because you can't do it. You find yourself, like Paul said, oh wicked man that I am, who will save me from this body of sin? Some way of quoting that, I think I got it close. And so basically Watchman he points out that you realize you can't do this, so you ask God to do it through you. And I was about to slap somebody once And just after reading that, I mean, I had my hand up in the air and everything. And I just realized, oh, God spoke to me. Yeah, too far.

Joe from Wyandotte

Too far.

Ed Bonderenka

Yep, that's too far. You don't love this person. And I said, oh, jeez, you're right. What am I supposed to do here? And oh, you love this person through me. Most miraculous thing I've ever seen in my life. I can only tell it to you. I can't, you can't observe it. But what was going through my head right then, I'm glad I read the book, did not slap her. and it's not my present wife either and I just everything went away God loved her through me and I just the emotion the love was there and it's a shame I couldn't maintain that my entire first marriage but I didn't hit her.

So the other thing is when we look at Jesus and what he does We can't say, and I'm not saying this was said, but we can't say Jesus did it. He's the son of God. He can do whatever he wants to do. We need to analyze what he did, why he did it, and the constraints he did it under. And one of those is you mentioned in a text to me during break that he actually might have been guilty of assault. And so Jeff and I were talking about that, and Jeff thinks he was just going, driving the animals, And I think I always pictured it since I was a kid in church when it was read to me that he was actually chasing the money changers themselves. But either way, think it in these terms. Whose house was it? Did he walk into a random marketplace? No. This was the temple of who? God. Who was Jesus? God. It was like somebody comes into your house and they're selling stuff. You have a right to pull a gun on them and say, get out of here. Did I get that right?

Joe from Wyandotte

Now, yeah, I didn't say a fault. I wouldn't go that far. But disturbing the peace, yes. Destruction of property, potentially, yes. both potential crimes. But I also go into in my books, pride is not the sin. It's pridefulness or hubris. I should be proud of little Johnny hitting the walk-off home run at Little League. I should be proud of little Sally getting always on her report card and expressing my pride in her and how great she's doing. I should take pride in a job well done at work. hubris to demand the boss fire everybody else and you collect their salary because nobody else's workforce you're the only person on the planet falls anything around here.

Ed Bonderenka

Okay, once again, that's why it's good to have a good concordance with a Strong's Dictionary and find out, you know, how that word was used in context in other passages, and that's what we have linguists from. I am not a Greek scholar, nor a Hebrew scholar, nor the son of a Greek or Hebrew scholar, but I have books, and that's why it's good to find out what did that word pride mean when it was used. Thanks for calling, Joe.

 

Ed Bonderenka

Thank you, brother. I want to ask Jeff for his take on what I said about the temple.

Jeff Samelson

Well, yeah, that's one of the interesting things. The chief priests and the Pharisees were eager to find something that they could arrest Jesus for and get him off the board. Notice that he was never arrested for what he did in the temple. Neither time, because he did it twice, once at the beginning of his public ministry and once at the end of his public ministry. And that kind of suggests that they understood that there was truth to his accusation there that this was something improper. And it was. Where this was happening, where they were doing this buying and selling and changing money, was called the Court of the Gentiles. And it was the place kind of outside the temple proper where non-Jews could go to worship the Lord. And so by filling it with all this commerce, they were making it impossible for Gentiles who wanted to come and worship the Lord to worship the Lord. They were crowding them out, which was why he made the comment about, how dare you turn my father's house into a market? Because this was supposed to be a house of prayer for all nations, not just for the Jews. And they were messing that up, to put it mildly.

Ed Bonderenka

Good point. Thank you. I really appreciate that point on that. You know, when it comes to the anger thing, and one of the reasons I want to read your book and I'm reading it, is because, and I mentioned this off air, there are times over the years, and I consider myself a born-again Christian, led of the Spirit of God mostly, often enough, that I will be watching somebody on TV and just basically wish that God would strike them down right then and there. I see them as a threat to my family, to my life, that if they get their way, I'm going to end up in chains. And I see it as kind of like self-defense mode that I can ask God to be my hitman. And then I have to realize that's wrong and repent. You want to speak to that?

Jeff Samelson

Yeah, it's, I think generally anytime we get that specific about something like that, it's going to be something that we have to repent of because we're letting the wrong emotions run things and we're not letting God be God. When we read the Psalms, especially if you start at the beginning and work your way through instead of just picking one out here and there, you get to what are called the imprecatory Psalms and it can be very difficult because you read, it's typically David, I don't know offhand if any of the Psalms that aren't attributed to David are also classed as imprecatory, but they're basically saying, These are my enemies, Lord, smite them, stop them, whatever. But one thing we, and so we know that those prayers to a certain extent are proper for a believer. But we also notice that he's never getting particularly specific about them. He's never saying, John's a real meanie, please make sure that he chokes on his bagel in the morning. It's nothing really like that. And just from my own life, I don't have any personal enemies like that, fortunately, that I feel the need to pray imprecatory psalms against. But I find myself sometimes in the evening, particularly as I'm going to bed and saying my prayers, and I'm thinking about things in the world, things that bother me. And I will find myself sometimes saying, okay, God, please do this. And I find myself getting fairly specific about this is what this political leader needs to do. This is the world leader that needs to be removed from power or whatever. And then I have to stop myself and say, who do I think I am dictating to God what is the best thing to do? Now, on the one hand, that's not so bad. At least I am praying specifically. for something that concerns me. And it does say in Romans 8 that God, the Holy Spirit takes our groans, our prayers, and he fixes them. He makes them into what is actually the thing that's important to be asking for. But at the same time, I've got to remind myself that God's the one in charge and he knows infinitely more than I do and he is infinitely wiser than I am. And sometimes it makes a lot more sense then for us to just say, Lord, here's this problem. It's really on my heart. I have some ideas about what would fix it, but you know better. Please take care of this. And whether we're talking about a war on the other side of the world or we're talking about something that would see that's going on in our local city politics. Or for that matter, your neighbor who's throwing his leaves onto your side of the lawn. take your concerns to him, let him know how you feel about it, and then trust him to work out the details.

Ed Bonderenka

I like that. you've mentioned imprecatory prayers, and that's been a subject of discussion here before. I had Pastor Doug Giles on. He's the author of Psalms of War, and the rest of it is the subtitle, Prayers That Literally Kick Ass. And he's a trip. He's A Texas pastor, but basically this is during the Biden administration, during lockdowns and threats to us. And Yeah, there's a fine line, I don't know how fine the line is, but there's a line, you got to walk there, once again, be angry and sin not. God is not your hit man, but you can pray to God for your defense. In other words, if you feel like God, I'm sorry, if you feel that you need the protection of God and your country needs, pray for your nation. Pray that, like I opened up this show with, you know, like pray that these people are removed from power. that doesn't mean, have them have their mouth filled with worms while they're speaking to you, which is something that happened to one of the Herods in the book of Acts. And I often wondered when Obama was giving some of his speeches, like when he tells the United Nations under his administration, The seas will recede and the storms will abate. They're like, whoa, if anybody's mouth ever needed to be filled with worms, like happened in the book of Acts, because when Herod was basically speaking like he was God, you wonder, why don't we see that more often?

Jeff Samelson

Yeah, must be 15 years or so ago, maybe even more than that. There was a church, I'll just say a church that is not known for holding to biblical positions. If I remember correctly, they were having a meeting there of church leaders and it was struck by lightning. And there was an initial emotional reaction among faithful Christians like, yeah, that's doing it, God, that's teaching them a lesson. But then every time something like that happens, they say, why doesn't he do that more often?

Ed Bonderenka

More consistently.

Jeff Samelson

Yeah. And we just have to realize that, okay, well, maybe that thing that happened wasn't necessarily a sign of God's judgment. Maybe that's, he let that thing happen for some other reason. And again, we just have to trust that God's got his reasons. He'll handle these things as he will. And the most important thing is we don't know what he's doing behind the scenes. And that's one of the things I think that also can bring us a lot more peace when it comes to politics, that just trusting that God's got it in his hands. We can't see what he is doing. That was one of the things I I mentioned that my congregation was out in the DC suburbs and we had a lot of people who worked for the government, who were in the military, or worked for government contractors, and there are a lot of people with top secret and higher security clearances in the congregation. And I think they felt a little more comfortable with me because I had a top secret security clearance at one point. But in the time after 9-11, I had a few conversations with people who were involved in stuff. I'll just put it that way. And they assured me that, oh yeah, there's a lot that's been going on that nobody's going to hear about. Things that were stopped well before they got anywhere. And that's good to hear as a citizen, you want to hear that. But then we apply that to the situation with God. Think about all the things that he's stopping before they ever get anywhere. The things we look at a situation, oh, that's really bad. Well, maybe God intervened before it got really, really, really, really bad. And we don't know that. So he's already showing us grace and mercy by not letting it get even worse than it was. And so maybe we shouldn't complain about the not so bad thing that we actually ended up with.

Ed Bonderenka

Yeah. I regard the United States as not an institution of the church, but I see it as a nation stood up by God for his purpose. It's almost undeniable. My friend Bill Federer's book, Miracles in American History, they give the evidence for that, that God's hand has been on this country and on the formation of this country and the protection of this country over the years. That does not make us a modern Israel and it doesn't mean we can't go wrong. In my point of view it's, well even Israel went wrong and they went in captivity and they were God's chosen people. and so my point is that I think there are things we have to do to work to preserve this country in the way that God wants it to go not necessarily the way we want to go in the way that we want to work towards God's purposes we find that if we work towards God's purposes then we'll find ourselves living in a pretty good place like people have in the past and so know it's that doesn't mean we want to set up a dominion movement or a new apostolic reformation where you know the Christians run everything and from the Bible as the type of Sharia law we certainly don't want Sharia law running everything anyhow but we want biblically informed people in positions of power so that the nation is led and guided appropriately you have any comment on that yeah well.

Jeff Samelson

I find it helpful when you're dealing with questions like this is to imagine you're not an American. Imagine you live in a country like, I don't know, Pakistan or India or maybe some place that doesn't have an official religion like Singapore, which I know fairly well. You still want your Christianity to guide your politics. You still want the the decisions that are made by your government, the policies that they have to be as godly as possible. And so to the extent that you are able to act politically, to engage with things, that's what you're going to be working for. And if that's true in a situation like that, that in a nation that doesn't have the Christian heritage that the United States does, then it's going to be that much more true for living here in the United States. in Romans and in First Peter, it's made clear that God is the one who set up the government. That doesn't apply only to the United States. That applies to every government that there is. He's the one who gives the rulers their responsibility. And since in a democracy, to a certain extent, we are the rulers, we've got responsibilities there. to punish the evil and to reward the good and to advance the good. And so that's something that we have a calling to as Christian citizens.

Ed Bonderenka

Well, that's a good point. We have a responsibility. We are the rulers. Bill Fetters pointed that out a number of times. And as a consequence of that, if we sit home in the midterm elections say I'm not interested in voting, we call ourselves a Christian, we are derelict in our duty both towards ourselves, our family, and towards God because he's given us a responsibility and the ability to direct the direction of this nation and whether we stay a righteous nation or not. Well, we've run out of time. We've been talking to Jeff Samuelson. He's the author of Walk This Way: Political Engagement for Bible-Believing Christians. And I'm enjoying reading it. You should, too. Thanks for joining us, Jeff. I appreciate it.

Jeff Samelson

My pleasure. Thank you so much for having me.

Ed Bonderenka

All right, thank you. Thanks, Derek, for producing.

 

 

 

 


No comments: