Saturday, December 8, 2018

The Job Report

In our Bible Study (that I moderate), we were talking about Luke:
8:20 And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee.
21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.
Jesus' family was there to take him away for being mad, many think.
If they did that, it could have impeded His ministry, so He had to make a decision to reject them because they rejected His claims to that ministry.
After we discussed that verse we moved on, but a week later, I heard an Old Testament Bible passage that struck me as illustrative of that passage in Luke and I wanted to bring it up when our group next met.
We met and I could not remember it.
We discussed the passage some more and did get some good insight, but it nagged me that I could not remember it.
I felt it was an excellent OT shadow of NT fulfillment.
I (and the others) prayed that God would bring it back to my memory.

The next night (last night) I saw that the TV series "The Rifleman" was available on Amazon Prime.
I watched the first episode, and then the second, from which I copied this video clip.
Boy, was I surprised!
Lucas McCain paraphrases Job to his son Mark in the midst of a trial they find themselves in.
God answered my prayer!
Job lost his unbelieving family during his trial of steadfastness to, and belief in the righteousness of, God, but after the trial, he was given a new family.

And BTW. How often do you hear such scriptural references regarding faith on popular TV series.
And it was written by Sam Peckinpah!

9 comments:

  1. Jesus was a "prophet without honor" in Nazareth, but not elsewhere.

    I think that people in general were more in touch with the right side of things fifty years ago than they are now. TV series reflected that. Today, the question is how far can they push the filth and degradation? They seem to be able to push it a long way, with reality TV leading the pack.

    Can you imagine the outrage at a CNN treating President Eisenhower or Kennedy the way that they treat President Trump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL, I've just read your comment again and it struck home, again.

      To quote the good book, "they've become corrupt and altogether abominable."

      We're witnessing the entire moral and spiritual collapse of a culture and what a fall it is to behold.

      "He has cast down the mighty from their thrones..."

      Delete
    2. I truly believe that Trump is a gift from God to us.
      At first a Cyrus, but now a new and untrained believer.
      I also believe that we are in a spiritual battle for the soul of this country.
      I trust the mighty from their thrones refers to the ungodly.

      Delete
  2. What LL said.

    Also, Imagine this on TV today !

    This is on episode I didn't see or don't remember, but I loved this show. Probably because the Rifleman was such a Mensch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to echo LL and Kid. We've become corrupt and altogether abominable. There's judgement in that.

    But there's also victory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We won't find this on TV any more. This was especially poignant after what I stumbled on today for my post. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LSP - "spiritual collapse of a culture"

    On all levels, spiritual and otherwise imo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a rude host for not replying to any of your kind comments.
    I apologize.
    Thank you.
    Once again, there is a battle for the soul of this country.
    Let us fight and not be faint.

    ReplyDelete