Last year I had issues with getting my boat on the water.
Lotsa rain, high winds, work and social demands kept me from putting out until this time last year.
By that time, the humidity in the air and the ethanol in my gasoline combined to stop my boat motor from running.
I figured I needed a carb rebuild, and decided I'd do it over the winter.
The bitter cold winter hindered me from heating the garage to work on the boat motor I had put in there.
In the spring, a thaw caused a pipe to burst in my family room.
The insurance hired a company to store my goods during repairs.
The goods came back, before I was done.
They went in my garage, blocking access to the motor.
Now I couldn't even send it out for repair.
A few weeks ago, I finished the room.
Then started to unpack the garage.
Then put the motor on the boat and took it to a repair shop.
I got it back Monday.
I still had stuff to do to get it in the water.
The tongue jack on the trailer had broken, the boat had to be washed, and I wanted to replace the propeller.
I agonized over buying a different style propeller than I normally used. I had over heard the prop shop owner (Proper Propellers) talking to another prospective customer and realized I wanted the four blade over the three blade.
AFTER I make the purchase, he says, if I'm not happy, I can exchange it. That would have saved me a lot of deliberation.
Today we took it out.
We actually had to turn around from the launch when I remembered that I had not replaced the safety bolts that kept the motor from flying off the back of the boat, an event that had occurred to me twenty years ago, after having done a ring job and piston replacement over the winter.
Thank God I was reminded.
So we went back again, put in and my son called.
He and my grandson were out on that lake!
We met them on the water and watched while they tubed.
That new prop was worth it.
Seems impossible, but I gained power taking off AND top end!
All in all, it was an enjoyable experience.
I hope we can do it again a few more times this year.